Not only can you use FSA/HSA funds for breastfeeding and infant feeding support like lactation consultations, you can also use your funds for breastfeeding supplies. It’s a great practice to use your funds throughout the year but if you find yourself with available funds in December, it may be time to stock up! Every plan has different rules and funds may or may not carryover. You can generally purchase from the retailer of choice using your FSA/HSA debit card or manually submit receipts per your plan guidelines. Some insurance plans contract with a “store” to purchase supplies from and, in that case, all items listed in that store are guaranteed to be covered!
Some of our favorite basics to consider if you’re looking to spend your funds…
3. Breastmilk collection bottles
4. Extra pump parts – duckbills, tubing, flanges, silicone inserts, etc.
5. Breastmilk cooler and icepacks
7. Sterilizer bags like Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags
8. Cleaning wipes like Medela Quick Clean Wipes are great for on the go!
10. Portable breast pump charger or car adaptor
A word of caution: there are soooooo many products marketed to lactating families that are just not necessary. You DO NOT need it all! The options can be overwhelming so if you need help sorting through, give us a call and we’d be happy to guide you.
Jennifer Gerard, APRN, FNP, IBCLC
Please note: This blog post includes Amazon affiliate links as a courtesy. If you purchase items through Amazon after following my links above, I earn 3-4% of the purchase price and your cost is the same.